Friday, May 9, 2014

Music, meaning and interaction

This week I wanted to focus a bit on something that is hands down one of the most important aspects of my life, music. It is my belief that, music is the quintessential and definitive intellectual accomplishment of mankind. Music transcends language and time, it heals us when we’re down, and it revitalizes us when we’re tired. Music can be a friend, a reminder or even at times a much needed inspiration. No other art form can find a way to speak in emotion the way that music can. There are so few ubiquitous elements to our lives that we all as people can understand, rhythm is in our bones and in our hearts… perhaps the true way to peace and healing is a symphonic collective celebration.

The following video is very touching, and is the embodiment of what I am talking about.



“It gives me the feeling of LOVE! Romance! I figure right now the world needs to come into music, singing you’ve got beautiful music HERE, beautiful, lovely, I feel the band of LOVE, of dreams.”


Brilliant!! ((someones cutting onions, excuse me)) 

So, you can share below your thoughts or your favorite musical inspiration; I’d love to hear about them. For me, the song that always brings a smile to my face is “Under African Skies” by Paul Simon on the “Graceland” album. That album alone is one of the best of all time in my opinion, but this song for some reason just touches me in that right way. This is an example for me of how music and its original meaning or lyrics don’t necessarily have to align with what you get from them.  For me, the song is just about nostalgia and letting go, traveling and experience. When I look up what the intended meanings for the song might be, or are, it’s much different.

Thanks again Friday Feel Good People, this Friday… let the music have you!
-Matthew

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”

-  Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, Or, How to Philosophize With the Hammer

2 comments:

  1. Lovely.
    Just the thought of music makes me feel good. ;)
    Music and the feelings and emotions it can stimulate within me is the closest I ever feel to acknowledging my "soul".
    There is something almost magical in its quality- found not just in the form of human arts, but also the musical quality of the sounds of nature that can make one feel so totally alive.
    I love this post.
    It makes me want to DANCE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kina! I'm gonna get my dance on tonight, too! glad you love the post, feel free to hang out every Friday. :)

      Delete