Friday, July 18, 2014

“Our bodies change our minds, and our minds change our behavior, and our behavior changes our outcomes”


Hello Friday Feel Gooders!!!

Friday is here again and man, is it a pretty one. (Depending on where you are. the PAC NW is delivering today!!)  Todays post is a bit long, so if you’re like me and have the attention span of a gnat for online reading, I apologize… but read it anyway, you make me happy!

Last week I wrote about self-talk and about how the message you’re approaching life with can dictate who you become. This message resonates really deeply with what I am trying to do with this blog as I mentioned. There was something missing though, the idea is/was there but I needed one more component. I knew I had already heard this message and I just needed to get to that nook n cranny in my brain to remember just where I saw it, and replay it.

So I just finished my last term for my AA and graduated with honors, (Shameless self-promotion) where one of my last classes was Speech Communications. The Professor, Heather, had shown us this video which I thought was cute at the time but mostly it washed over me. I had already been writing this blog and doing my thing etc.  I am realizing that video, the message in that video is the quintessential message for me and my TFFG project.  

The Jist:

Amy Cuddy is an American social psychologist known for her research on stereotyping and discrimination, emotions, power, nonverbal behavior, and the effects of social stimuli on hormone levels. What does this have to do with me, my blog and my new outlook? Everything:  My whole need for this blog is about forced perspective and a manipulated persona. This video is about 20 minutes but it’s great, I hope you can find the time to hear it through; my thoughts afterword will make more sense.  


Here’s why this video was bouncing around in my head unbeknownst to me, because the reality of me, this blog and my new mission is that it IS fake… on a level.  All this positivity, up-beat and forward thinking, get er done life is great attitude?? That’s not me by definition, so what I am doing IS, in fact, faking it until I become it. Those of you who know me well, know that I can be cynical, mean and negative; I’m not saying all the time, but it’s in me and was certainly a bigger part of my world view,  so that’s what I was becoming… more and more every day especially with the huge waves of heartache I had been facing. That being said, (and I’m slopping tears on my face as I type this) some of you have come to me and made it a point to tell me how you see the change, that I am positive and giving off light. WHAT COULD BE MORE AWESOME THAN THAT??? It’s working goddammit, I am becoming it.

Closing thoughts, this quote from her during the video…

“Having your core identity taken from you, nothing makes you feel more powerless than that”

I don’t know about you but this resonated with me so much and on so many levels. What is it in your life that you want to become? How do you get there, and when you finally do and the world takes it away from you what are you LEFT with?

So… how do I go out there and start to... FEEL BIGGER. BE BIGGER

How do I stop being my sickness? How do I not become my losses?

How do I not let the pain in my HEART take EVERYTHING AWAY from me?

How do I get up, TODAY, and be MORE than I was YESTERDAY?

I’M GONNA Stand UP, Stretch out, and DECIDE 

that today I AM THE HEAVY WEIGHT CHAMPION

of my own existence and person
AND NOBODY

Is gonna. Knock. Me. Down.

AGAIN

No comments:

Post a Comment