Friday, June 27, 2014

Little People, BIG Changes!

Happy Friday Feel Gooders!

I am sure most of you like me have a hard time logging into the web or social media, or even turning on a TV for that matter without hearing a little something about futbol (That’s soccer for us American wankers) and the world cup. I’m not a soccer fan; I’m not really even a fan of sports, but I am huge a fan of making positive changes in the lives of impoverished kids.

I ran across this video amongst the soccer/futbol hysteria that is currently going on and it touched my heart. Ethan King, who is only 14 years old, traveled to Mozambique (Africa) in 2009 where he was working with his father on other charitable work, on water wells. Ethan, made a discovery about something that touched his heart when he was able to make a huge difference in the lives of the children there simply by giving them a soccer ball.

Ethans Web site: http://charityball.org/

“I’ve discovered that many kids in poor countries want to play soccer, but they can’t because they don’t have a ball. If they do have a ball, it’s typically a bunch of plastic garbage bags wadded up and wrapped with twine and it doesn’t last very long.
As I watched the kids play, it was hard for me to think that I would be heading back to the States where I had several soccer balls in my garage just sitting there. These kids in this village had none. I thought to myself, these kids would enjoy this soccer ball far more than me. So, I walked over presented my ball as a gift.
As we prepared to leave, one of the boys brought the soccer ball back to me. I said to him, “No, this is yours. I’ve given it to you.” Immediately they ran, laughed and cheered like they had just won the lottery! For me, I loved seeing that they now had a real ball to play the game.”


According to his web site, his charity (Charity Ball) has now donated a stunning 4 thousand soccer balls to 22 impoverished countries. Two really important things I want to touch on here. One: I remember as a youth watching a television show (LA Law I think, of all things) and a child on the show was in some legal throws in which he was being pulled from both his parents. I remember being really devastated by this and later on going to my mom crying and saying I wanted to give my allowance to kids so they would never be taken from their parents. Point being, as children we are so empathetic, the examples are everywhere.

A list of 10 amazing Charities started by kids! 10 Incredible charities started by kids!

Two: Ethan was already doing something with his father on a charitable level. The reason I bring this up is that I strongly believe that we’re products of our environment. I would guess that part of the reason Ethan was able to do what he did, with this charity, is that his father was giving him positive guidance and setting an amazing example of what to do with those feelings. I think this is massively important to recognize that our youth are already poised to do amazing things, and with the right communication, skills, and direction those energies they’re bursting with can turn into incredible accomplishments.

“Be the change you wish to see in the world” –Ghandi


Here is the video I saw about this charity, it’s AMAZING!! HAPPY FRIDAY, FEEL GOODERS!!!


2 comments:

  1. THIS. So much. There is hope- there is always hope.
    My faltering faith in humanity has been restored today. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kina! sometimes it can be hard, but your kind words help, too!! -Cheers

      Delete